Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Operation Thanksgiving Turkey

Last year a couple at our church started Operation Thanksgiving Turkey. He is a competition BBQ'r and cooked 40 turkeys to deliver to needy families (along with a bag full of groceries for the rest of the meal). Last year it was just him and his smoker cooking all the turkeys. This year we had tons of people "sponsor" the turkeys and our church is delivering 286 turkeys today to families in need around our area. Along with the turkey they get a pumpkin pie and a bag of groceries (green beans, stuffing, etc) and a Bible. Thanks to Bi-Lo and Walmart for helping out and working with the group to get groceries at a really good deal.

I decided this would be a good opportunity for our girls to see what people in true need really look like and to do some community service so we helped deliver 6 turkeys today and was invited into several families homes and were able to talk with them and pray with them. It was great! The girls enjoyed it too. Not sure Elisabeth fully understood everything but Ansley definitely did. We may think we have it bad sometimes but some of the families I visited today have it REALLY bad. One family in particular just really touched my heart and I wish I could do more to help them.

I hope each of you has a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are blessed........we are truly truly blessed.

2 comments:

Amber said...

When I was in youth group we used to have a lock-in the night before Thanksgiving and spend all night cooking thanksgiving meals for families in the community in need. It made us feel really great to be doing something nice to others, but at the same time was a big eye opener to some of the poverty that exists in our small town! I'm glad you got to share such a great experience with the girls!

Stephanie said...

It was a great experience! I hope we get to do it again next year.