Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year 2009!






It's the year of the Ox and here's wishing your family a Happy New Year! Last week we went on a search for a good Asian market to buy ingredients to make Chinese dumplings. We went to 2 places that are close by. One I liked and one I didn't. At the one I liked we bought some Asian popsicles, chocolate and strawberry wafer cookies, dumpling wrappers and Chinese cabbage. I think I am going to attempt to make the dumplings tomorrow. I'll let you know how they turn out! Elisabeth loves the ones that we get at the local Asian bistro so I'm going to try to re-create them at home. I hope to go back to the Asian market and even find some new ones to start buying some new items here and there and trying them. It's so much fun!

Ansley's class is reading a story in their reading book this week titled "China Town". Her teacher saved it until this week so it would coincide with Chinese New Year. Ansley is bringing stuff each day this week to share with the class. Today she took a Chinese lantern to hang up in the class and a story book that explains Chinese New Year customs and traditions. We have 2 copies of the book so Elisabeth took it to Mother's Morning Out today and they read it to the class. She was so excited! Later this week Ansley will take some of the coffee table books we have so the kids can see a picture of what China Town looks like in New York and see pictures of the dragon dance. She is also going to take a little goody bag with chopsticks and a lucky money envelope filled with gold plastic coins and Chinese candy.

We hope your 2009 is prosperous! Happy Chinese New Year! Gung Hay Fat Choy!

No comments: