Today was the last full day of summer vacation (I'm kind of sad but kind of excited). We all got up early this morning (around 6:45 am) in preparation and practice for getting up early tomorrow, the first day of school. We got ready and headed out around 8:15 am to Columbia, SC to spend the day at the zoo. It was 92 degrees today but the zoo is pretty shady and even though it was hot and a bit humid we still had a blast. Some of the highlights are as follows: feeding the Lorikeets, feeding the giraffe, watching the squirrels dumpster dive for french fries, riding the carousel, seeing the flamingos and their eggs (wish they had been hatching so we could have seen baby flamingos), watching the bears scuffle and jump in the water. We also had a fascinating time watching the naked mole rats. We've seen them before at another zoo but this exhibit was even better and we got to talk to the "naked mole rat expert" at the zoo who told us lots of fascinating things about them. For instance, did you know they are set up in a colony kind of like bees. There's a queen naked mole rat and all the others are workers. Who knew! But no matter how you look at these creatures they are just ugly. I never got a picture of them.......they were our last stop and by then I was just tired I guess. Sorry to disappoint you.
Ansley starts 3rd grade tomorrow. She's a little nervous but excited too. We can't believe she's in 3rd grade already. The years are going by too quickly! Next year will be terrible for me because Elisabeth will be starting kindergarten. I'm excited for her because she can't wait to be at the same school as Ansley but sad because once they get in school it seems like the years really fly by. I'll be posting pictures later this week of Ansley and the 1st day of school. I'll let you know how it goes!
No comments:
Post a Comment